A power adaptor is one device you need to power most of your home or office electronics, and protecting it from damage is essential. Some power adaptors can be expensive and hard to find if damaged, so providing extra protection is vital. We will cover some important tips on how to protect a power adaptor from damage.
The power adaptor comes in two parts, one is a transformer, and the other is the power cord. The transformer is the bigger part in a block shape. It is responsible for converting AC to DC while the power cord transmits the converted current between the outlet and the device through the transformer.
Because of the work the transformer does in converting AC to DC, it can start to overheat over time, causing severe damage. Also, the power cord, which is also exposed to all elements, can wear and tear from being thrown around or pulled, which can rip off the protective coating and cause a hazard.
How to protect a power adapter and cord from damage.
There are different ways to protect a power adaptor, but we will look at the most critical protection remedy.
1. Use a power strip surge protector.
A power strip enables you to connect several devices to a single wall socket by using a single connector. Surge protectors are power strips built to resist a power surge and keep your electrical devices safe. You need a power strip surge protector in case of a power surge and to connect multiple power adaptors from different devices.
Power strip vs surge protector:
Below are some important differences and advantages of using a power strip surge protector.
- The surge protector helps protect your devices from a flux of electricity.
- The power strip lets you plug multiple devices into just a single wall outlet.
- A power surge keeps your electronics safe.
- A power strip helps you control different power adaptors with an easy on/off switch.
- A surge protector creates a protective barrier for plugged-in devices.
- The Surge Protector prevents high voltage surges, hazardous bursts, and spikes for multiple devices.
2. Use a smart power strip.
A smart power strip can detect issues with the outlet or power adaptor and then automatically trip off before it causes damage to the plugged-in devices. The smart power strip can also trip off when the adaptor overheats, has high voltage or is bust.
A good example of a smart power strip is the Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip from Amazon.
It can operate six smart outlets and charge three devices through USB, making it ideal for home, office, or small business use. Smart surge protection protects sensitive devices and appliances from damaging power surges during storms. It can track how much energy each gadget connected to the power strip uses and be managed remotely through an app or voice command.
3. Do not wrap the power adaptor or power cord.
Most users mistakenly wrap a power adaptor with materials that are not designed for it or that can cause damage to the adaptor. Trying to protect the power adaptor by either wrapping or tying it to twist it can cause overheating or break the copper inside. Instead, you can use a popular power adapter protector case to safeguard the adaptor. If you want a power cord that can withstand all other elements and damage, we recommend using an Alex Tech power cord protector.
This power cord protector protects it from pets, kids’ tempers, water, and breakage. In addition, it helps the cord stay loose and avoid crimping. You can easily get it on Amazon. There is also an outdoor power cord protector that will protect the cord while outside from water, soil, or heavy objects placed on it.
4. Avoid transformer cramping
In most cases, one of the reasons a burnt transformer causes a fire break is cramping. Some transformers need some breathing room and airflow because the transformers generate heat as well. After all, it’s being used constantly for long periods of time or having high voltage current issues. Having the transformer placed under a sofa or cramped together with items like clothes (hoarders) or other electrical cables is hazardous.
5. Avoid contact with dangerous objects.
If you are always moving the power adaptor around, you should be wary of where and how you drop it. Dangerous objects can be sharp objects like knives, blades, broken glass, or table edges. Also, shoe edges like women’s high heels can pierce a power adaptor or cord. Finally, the adaptor’s life span is reduced once the rubber coating begins to wear out.
6. Avoid contact with liquids.
Any liquid is a dangerous sign for a power adaptor. You should treat a power adaptor just like your smartphone. A power adaptor in contact with liquid can damage the device and cause an electric shock to you, your pet, and your children (if you have any). But in the event of contact with liquid, please do not use the adaptor until it has dried completely. If there is any slightest proof of liquid getting into the transformer, it is best to discard the adaptor.
7. Have an extra power adaptor?
Most of us have extra phone chargers, not because we can afford them, but to reduce the amount of time we use them everywhere we go and increase their life span. Having an extra power adaptor is vital. At least you can switch them, which will increase their life span. Another advantage of having a power adaptor extra is that if one breaks down, you will not have to wait for a new one to arrive before you start working again. You will also have one for travel and home or office use. It is important to have a power adaptor backup in case of any issue with one adaptor.
Here are some other ideas on how to protect a power adaptor from damage.
- Using cord covers: Cord covers help protect your device from tears and wear from everyday use.
- Using a heavy-duty extension cord: You can get a heavy-duty extension cord from Amazon, especially if you are constantly using it for work that involves moving around.
- Using a cord floor cover: An example of a cord floor cover is the Alex Tech power cord protector. This can help protect it from moving or rolling around on the floor. Another one you can try is the extension cord with cover. If you want to extend the cord or the outlet is far from your desk, an extension cord with a cover is ideal.
- Using a waterproof extension cord: If you plan on working or staying outdoors with your device, then a waterproof extension cord is important to help protect it from water damage.