Reusing candle jars has become a tradition in many homes; the role those beautiful-looking jars play on the cabinet or storage racks is almost incomparable, given that they once housed lovely scented candles. In addition, many of us have once used these candle jars to store household items or food items, which help save some space and preserve them. The question of reusing Yankee candle jars comes to mind once the candle wax is finished. Below is a quick outline of the main question, can Yankee candle jars be used for food storage?
Yes, you can use Yankee candle jars for food storage; there are other uses like home decorations, planting, and storing jewelry pieces. However, according to the company that makes them, it is not advisable to reuse Yankee candle jars to make another candle.
In reality, there are more suggestions on how and what to use the Yankee candle jars for instead of throwing them away after use. A thorough cleaning is required when reusing Yankee candle jars for food storage or storing other accessories. Not only making sure that the wax is 100% melted off, but also making sure they are airtight. There is no scientific proof or expert advice on reusing candle jars for food storage; instead, you will find many uses for food-graded plain bottle jars that are not designed for candle jars.
Is it safe to reuse Yankee candle jars to store food?
Here is a statement from the Yankee candle company to clarify if candle jars are reused for food storage. The company specifically stated on the FAQ section of their website not to use empty Yankee candle jars for food storage or make more candles because there is no best way to wash candle jars or officials chemicals that are certified to use in cleaning candle jars.
But most websites have suggested that it is safe to reuse Yankee candle jars to store food, even though you can’t hold them accountable for saying that. Provided these jars are thoroughly washed to remove every wax and are airtight, you can use them to store food items like spices.
Benefits of Reusing Yankee Candle Jars As Food Storage
There are a few advantages of using an old candle jar around your home instead of dumping them in the bin. So, what are the benefits of reusing candle jars for food storage?
- Using candle jars to store food help to reduce food waste. Reducing food waste also helps save the environment.
- Using candle jars for storage help maintain and preserve food for freshness and stay longer.
- Another benefit of reusing Yankee candle jars for food storage is that it helps to save money for buying alternative food storage items.
- Reusing Yankee candle jars also help save the cost of electricity due to most food storage solutions requiring electricity.
- Thoroughly washed Yankee candle jars for food storage are a healthy method for preserving instead of using plastics which are harmful to the environment.
- Fermenting, a traditional method of food preservation also helps with beneficial microorganisms that help diet supplement.
- It also helps preserve semi-perishable and perishable foods that you can not consume immediately.
How to clean candle jars
To reuse a candle jar for wet or dry food storage, adequately wash to remove wax and other chemicals used to make those candles safe and healthy to use. Below is a guide on how to clean candle jars:
1. Hot water: Use hot water to remove candle wax
Candle jar wax can be removed with boiling-water works, especially for jars with a wide mouth.
- Boil the water in a separate pot, enough water to fill the jar.
- Place the jar on a hard surface or with a potholder, then pour the boiled water into the candle jar.
- Allow some tiny space, don’t fill the candle jar to the brim.
- The hot water will melt any wax in the candle jar; the melted wax will float on the jar surface.
- Let the water cool before removing the wax, then strain the remaining wax from the water before pouring it down the sink.
The second method of removing wax from candle jars is soak the candle jar in your sink.
- First, block the drain with a drain stopper, then fill the sink with hot boiling water.
- Remove the lid of the jar and soak it in the boiled water.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- It will remove any remaining wax from the candle jar, making it easy to pull out.
- Before releasing the drain stopper, remove all wax from the sink to prevent clogging the drain.
2. Freezer: Use the freezer to remove candle wax
Freezing the candle jar is another efficient method of removing candle wax by shrinking the wax.
- Pop the used candle jar into the freezer and let it sit all night.
- Take it out in the morning; the wax should form a lump that usually falls out once the jar is flipped over.
- But if this doesn’t work, use a fork, spoon, or a small knife to pull out the wax.
3. Oven: Use the oven to remove candle wax
The oven is another method of removing wax from used Yankee candle jars; the benefit of this method is you can remove wax from multiple used candle jars.
- Place an aluminum foil on the oven tray and place the used candle jars upside down on the foil.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, then place the oven tray with all the used candle jars into the oven.
- Allow up to 15 minutes while keeping watch on the jars and oven.
- Take the tray out and place it on a heat-safe surface; the wax should melt off the jars.
- Let it cool down before washing each jar with soap and warm water.
- You can discard the aluminum foil with the wax or keep the wax for any future use.
4. Hairdryer: Using a hairdryer to remove candle wax
The hairdryer method has been used in melting off candle wax from surfaces.
- Place an aluminum foil on a hard surface and place the candle jar upside down on the foil.
- Turn on the hairdryer to warm and heat the used candle jar from bottom to sides.
- It will melt off any wax from the jar.
- After the wax is out, wash the jars with warm water and soap.
Food that you can store in reused Yankee candle jars
They are different classes or categories of food that you can store in reused Yankee candle jars; these include dry food and perishable and semi-perishable food.
1. Perishable food
These foods can quickly perish when not adequately preserved; they can be raw or cooked. Therefore, these food classes must be stored in a freezer or refrigerator. They include:
- Raw fruits
2. Semi-perishable food
These foods can spoil or have long shelf life depending on the storage method; they usually last months or years and require an airtight seal or are frozen for a long time. They include:
- Dried fruits
- Dry mixes
3. Non-perishable food
Non-perishable food or staple foods stay longer or may not spoil if preserved or handled properly; these types of food can also lose quality over time or contaminate if handled carelessly. They include:
- Dried food
- Dried beans
- Some canned food
Ways to reuse Yankee candle Jars
Yankee candle jars can be reused for food storage, and there are also many other things you can use them for, including:
- Used as a flower vase
- Yankee candles can be used as spice bottles
- Yankee candles can be used as candle stands
- Jar for body scrubs
- To store balms
- To keep wax air fresheners
- To store pins
- To store needles
- To keep buttons
- Keep small change(coins)
- As a pencil/ pen holder
- Candy jars
- Toothbrush and toothpaste holder
- Hair elastic and clips
- Little toiletries
Yankee Candle Jars As A Flower Vase And Plant Pot
Flowers project their beauty more when they are together in a vase.
A flower vase-like one made from Yankee candle jars would provide an excellent balance for the candles, which would help light up the aura of the room. Keeping flowers and plants, in general, helps to purify the air in the room.
Also, using Yankee candle jars as a plant pot is quite fancy. Green plants produce oxygen as a by-product of photosynthesis, thereby increasing more uncontaminated oxygen in the house.
Yankee candles can be used as spice bottles.
Spices are differentiated from herbs, leaves, flowers, or stems of plants used for flavoring or garnish. Therefore, spices need airtight bottles to store them. Yankee candle jars are suitable as spice bottles because they are airtight and transparent to identify the herbs in the different bottles quickly.
Yankee candle jars can be reused as candle stands.
Candles’ wicks ignite and give off light when lit, and the wicks come immersed in wax. As a result, some candles come plain, while others come with fragrance and are termed scented candles.
Some other candles come in jars, while the others come naked. Pink, blue, green, yellow, and lots more are the colors of different candles, beautifying wherever they are kept. You can reuse empty Yankee candle jars to light another candle, but this is not advisable
because this would be giving the candle jars excessive heat, more than they can carry.
Jars for a body scrub
Body scrubs are cosmetic products used ideally for exfoliation and removing dead skin cells. Most body scrubs also help skin rejuvenation and softening of different body parts, thereby requiring proper storage methods. For example, Yankee candle jars could serve as containers for homemade body scrubs, performing another duty rather than laying around.
To store balms
Balms are usually oily fragrant from plants, and sometimes not, but generally medicinal value. Balms could be homemade or factory-produced. Empty Yankee candle jars are an ideal storage method for homemade balms and are kept in good condition.
To keep wax air fresheners.
Wax air fresheners are better than conventional air fresheners because they last longer, especially in closed places, and keep long-lasting fragrances. In addition, Yankee candle jars act as perfect housing for these wax air fresheners because underneath the bottle is sealed, and this also helps heat the wax to exude a fragrance.
To store pins
While walking around the home barefooted, having to get poked by pins, or even sitting on little pins on the couch, Yankee candle jars can store pins rather than leave them lying around the home.
To store knitting kits and sewing kits.
Knitting kits are items that are used to knit dresses, clothing, e.t.c
Small items for sewing kits like threads can be kept in an empty Yankee candle jar.
To keep buttons
We all know how buttons and hooks are difficult to find once they get missing and how messy it gets when scattered all over the place. However, putting together all the buttons and buckles for clothing in a particular place creates orderliness, which you can do with an empty Yankee candle jar.
Keep small change (coins)
Small changes, especially coins, can be quite a hassle to carry about, and it’s also painful when you misplace them because irrespective of the little value they carry, they at least hold value in quantity. Yankee candle jars can store your small change and copper coins until you need them next to you or even house them until someone needs them.
As a pencil/pen holder
To keep your home and workplace organized, you could always start with small items like pens, pencils, and other stationery littering around the house and workplace. For example, Yankee candle jars can contain little stationaries to keep them in a place for future purposes and avoid using them to cause domestic accidents.
Almost every kid loves candies and a higher percentage of young adults. Candies are confectioneries that have sugar as their active ingredient; they come in various shapes, tastes and sizes. Put candies in place using Yankee candle jars for easy access.
Toothbrush and toothpaste holder
Ever had your toothpaste or toothbrush constantly falling into the WC toilet, an empty Yankee candle jar could be a holder for both of them. It makes it healthier and safer for you.
Hair elastic and clips
For women and men who groom hair or constantly braid their strands, searching for clips or elastic bands to pack your hair can be pretty annoying, especially if you are in haste or need to be somewhere immediately. Yankee candle jars can act as holders for your hair elastics and clips and have everything in a
Items like shaving sticks, shaving gel, shaving creams, e.t.c, that are in constant use in the toilet can be kept inside a Yankee candle jar.
Since glasses are not readily flammable, they can endure hot ashes from cigarettes; therefore, a candle jar can be used as an ashtray.
Can I reuse my Yankee candle jars for another candle?
So many of these candle jars contain lead, and they wouldn’t be able to carry another set of heat coming from another candle after the first set of candles has been exhausted. So it’s not advisable to reuse the candle jars for another candle.
How can I remove the fragrance from a scented candle jar after use?
Yes, if your scented candlewick is exhausted and you need to remove the scent inside to use the jar for something else, there are two ways:
- Firstly, use alcohol to wipe inside the empty candle jar to remove the scent.
- Secondly, you can fill the jar of the empty scented candle with hot water and baking soda, allow it to sit until it cools, and wash with regular soap or detergent or run it on your dishwasher.
How can I remove stickers from an empty scented candle jar?
To remove stickers from an empty scented candle jar, you should use a hand dryer. Increase to the highest heat, heat, and blow-dry the stickers on the empty candle jar. Make sure the heat spreads through the entire sticker on the jar, raise one side of the sticker, and remove it freely.
How can I remove candle wax from a candle jar?
To remove candle wax from a candle jar, here are two ways to do it.
- You can either use a microwave or use a warmer.
- Wax requires a high temperature before you begin to see any changes in them, and they are lipophilic.
- Insert the candle jar(s) in a microwave and heat it till the entire wax is melted.
- After the wax is melted off, pour it out and wash the jar either by hand washing or run it on a dishwasher.
- If you are using a warmer, insert the candle jar into the warmer generously and allow it to heat; after the wax has melted, remove it from the warmer with a hand towel, pour out the melted wax and wash.